Plan on spending time in the great outdoors? Don’t forget to protect yourself and your family from pesky ticks! They may be tiny, but ticks are capable of transmitting serious illnesses like Lyme disease.
Here are some of our tips to prevent ticks:
- Wear Proper Clothing – If you’re going to spend time in wooded areas and tall grasses, wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts and closed-toe shoes. Wearing light colored clothing will make it easier to spot ticks.
- Yard Maintenance – Keep grass cut low and remove weeds, woodpiles and debris, which can attract ticks and other pests.
- Use insect Repellant – Insect lotion or spray can be effective that contains at least 20% diethyltoluamide (DEET).
- Hike the right way – Stay in the center of trails, away from vegetation where ticks may be hiding.
- Regularly clean your pets – Avoid walking dogs in tall grass, where fleas and ticks often hide, and inspect pets for ticks on a routine basis.
Following these tips can protect you from those ticks that may carry unwanted diseases.
Follow our blog for regular updates on Pest Articles, News and Tips for better home improvement.