Stinging insects like wasps, yellowjackets and hornets are pesky animals that can cause serious harm to you and to your family. They are the reason why many people were sent to the emergency room each year. But there are ways to ensure these insects won’t ruin your family’s outdoor fun.
- Seal cracks or Openings.Regularly inspect your around your yard, and home corners. Stinging insects often build their nests inside attics and chimneys, behind porch lights and under decks or eaves.
- Don’t wear fragrances when your outdoors. Many species of insects specially the stinging ones are attracted to sweet smell. Your fragrances can provoke them to come to you and eventually sting you.
- Always cover your food when in the outdoors. Stinging insects are also attracted to exposed food and open garbage cans. So, keep your food all covered when outside and be sure to keep tight fitting lids on trash bins.
- Stay calm whenever you see stinging insects flying around. Do not swat or flail your arms in panic, these may provoke them more to attack. However, if one stings you, carefully remove the stinger and seek medical attention.
- Avoid wearing dark colors and floral prints. These patterns are known to attract stinging insects.
- Contact the nearest pest professional.