Fleas, ticks, flies and mosquitoes, these are the common pests during the summer season for our pets. Although animals tend to view them only annoyances, they can pose considerable health risks to both the pets and their owners.
Here are tips for pet owners during the summer months to avoid pet pest from pestworld.org:
- Check your pet frequently for fleas, flea dirt and ticks, especially after the animal has been outside. Keep an eye out for excessive scratching, licking and nibbling grooming behavior in your pet.
- Avoid walking pets in tall grass where there is a greater chance of fleas and ticks hitching a ride.
- Eliminate sources of standing water in the yard, as these can be breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Talk with a veterinarian about prevention and treatment options available to pets and inquire about heartworm protection.
- Treat the animal’s environment. Wash pet bedding and plush toys and vacuum carpets frequently.
- Contact a pest professional to prevent potential or current infestations.