Not only pet do needs love and affection or a nutritious diet, as a pet owner, you also have the responsibility to protect your pets from health risks. Tick and fleas make you and your pets sick as these can lead to infestations in your home.
There are many steps pet owners can take to protect their pets from pests:
- Brush your pet’s coat to remove any debris or insects after playtime in the outdoors.
- Bathe dogs regularly, using a shampoo that can kill pests.
- Lookout for skin irritations on your pet such as bite marks or red, itchy skin. Excessive scratching is a good indicator that there may be tick into them.
- Consider having them groomed in the spring and summer.
- If you notice a change in your animal’s behavior, such as lack of appetite or decrease in energy, take them to your veterinarian ASAP. This could be a sign of Lyme disease or other health issue caused by pests.
- Wash your pet’s bedding, crate, toys, food bowls and sleeping areas on a regular basis.
- Keep your lawn cut short and gardens well maintained to prevent breeding grounds for pests. Fleas and ticks often hide out in tall grasses.
- If you find a tick on your pet, remove it immediately, being careful to extract the head and mouthparts completely.
- If you suspect your home is infested with ticks or fleas, contact a licensed pest professional right away. We at Western AllPest can conduct free assessment into your home to avoid pest infestations that may affect your pets’ health.